Map that Highlights the areas affected by the Floods in Pakistan 2022

Veer

Veer

Famous Pakistani
Staff member
Top Poster of Month

Reaction score
Regarding the #Floods In Pakistan I have been seeing a popular map all over social media that highlights the areas that are currently affected by the floods.

The awareness being created is a plus but according to my on-ground sources, that map (on left) has inaccuracies.

FbL3LHfacAMTgNo.jpg
FbL3vu2UEAM7snu.jpg

Instead, I have shared another map, that is more accurate and in line with my personal accounts and sources. This map has been extracted from the PDF situation report of @UNOCHA. This map is up to date until 26th of August.

Why this map is more accurate? + Key takeaways

This viral map shows no areas of Gilgit-Baltistan and Azad Kashmir under the effects of the flood, while the map I shared includes a considerable part of habitable GB and the whole of AJK in the affected region.

FbL3LHfacAMTgNo.jpg

The new map also includes all the areas of Western belt of Pakistan into the affected region, with emphasis on the Hangu district in KPK and Gwadar + Zhob districts in Balochistan.

FbL3vu2UEAM7snu.jpg

Moreover, so far I had the perception by consuming online information that the worse-hit areas were those of Swat and Balochistan. While calamities are never comparable, the new map corrected me that actually the worst-hit areas are those of Sindh in the Indus Basin.

I just wanted to share these observations hoping to add my part in curbing online misinformation. However, just correction in information won't fix the crisis conditions on ground and I request you all to please play your due roles for the sake of humanity.

Various non-governmental organizations in Pakistan are working tirelessly to improve the dire situations in the affected areas such as @AlkhidmatOrg, @Edhi and @Akhuwat. I am also taking donations at @Pehchaan_Pk to be distributed all over the country. (Sarmad Iqbal)

Sad, terrible, unjustifiable....Sadly, the government is not active in a way that it should be as we have not seen such disasters before. The National Disaster and Management Authority is also not playing an active role. We will see a bigger disaster in the shape of diseases in near future if the government stays inactive.....

Back